Saturday, May 22, 2010

I failed

I had my 38 weeks appointment yesterday (38 weeks 5 days pregnant) and I have not made any more progress.  I am still 1 centimeter dilated and 50% effaced.  The baby is still at a -3 station.  It was a bit of a disappointment for me but I'll get over it.  During my internal exam the doctor stripped my membranes.  All that means is that she encouraged the start of labor by stretching my cervix with her finger and pushing the amniotic sack off of the cervix.  Sounds lovely right?  It really wasn't any worse than a normal internal exam.  She said that her record was 4 for 4 in starting labor 2 days after stripping membranes in the last month or two.  I have a feeling I'm going to break her perfect record.  I was told to expect some spotting and cramping 2-3 hours after the exam but I have yet to experience either.  Who knows, maybe there is still hope for me to go into labor this week?!

I have another appointment on Friday (5/28).  At that appointment we will discuss and possibly set up an induction date.  She doesn't want me to go past 41.5 weeks gestation because the placenta isn't meant to last forever.  So IF we have to schedule an induction I'm going to see if we can wait until June 8th or 9th.  Hopefully by then I'll have a baby in my arms but if I'm still pregnant on June 8th I think I'll gladly go for the induction.  This baby must come out!   It's hard to think that I could be pregnant for another 2.5 weeks.  That doesn't sound like a long time but to a woman carrying a tank in her gut sounds like forever!

No comments: