And here is a bare belly shot: WATCH OUT!
I also wanted to share information about dilation, effacement, and engagement / stations. These are all terms that are foreign to most people. We all understand dilation to a point. The opening of the cervix to let the baby out is dilation. We need to get to 10 centimeters to be fully dilated. The chart below illustrates dilation and effacement. Effacement seems to be a new word for most people. This is when the cervix thins. You can see in the first picture the cervix is thick. It needs to thin out so your cervix can stretch open. Right now I am 1 centimeter dilated and 50% effaced.
Now I want to talk about engagement. Not when two people agree to marry, but when the baby is (in Seamus' words) "ready for launch." Right now little baby Q is at a -3 station. The station is in relation to where the baby's head is to the pelvic bone. The baby is considered fully engaged when he/she is at 0 station. My doctor said that it is very common for the baby to not be at a 0 station for first time moms until labor begins. The doctor can tell the station of the baby by feeling the head during an internal exam.
So as you can see from the picture, my baby is engaged or "ready for launch" but is not considered fully engaged yet. When the baby is fully engaged there is no backing out. :)
I am ready for this little baby to arrive. I have resorted to acupressure points to induce labor. Youtube is wonderful isn't it! hehe. There is supposedly a point in the hand that will help induce labor. There are also a few points in the feet and legs that will help. Last night I tried hitting all of them... still pregnant. Hey, it's worth a try right? hehe




1 comment:
One night Ryan took me for a drive out on a bumpy road, I walked along the curb of our neighborhood. (well hobbled) Nothing helped until I was actually induced with pitocin! My guys did not want out!! I hope your little one is no where near as stubborn. :)
Post a Comment