Sunday, September 4, 2011

Language Development

 Pigtails!

First time on the Carousel at Happy Hollow Park and Zoo. 

Dear Michela,

Today you are 15 months old!  I never thought I'd be a mom who continued to tell their child's age by month after a year.  But so much change happens between ages 1 and 2 that it just doesn't feel right simply saying that you're 1.  Maybe by age 2 I'll drop the months, maybe.

I can't believe how much language you have developed over the last few months.  I feel like a bad mom because people ask me what you can say and I can't for the life of me keep track of it all.  I guess that doesn't make me a bad mom; it just makes you a smart (and talkative) baby!  Here is a list of some of the things you now say and do.  

I have moles.   You will now point to one of my moles and say "mole".  You also look at me, point to your shoulder (I have one on my shoulder) and say "mole".  Sorry honey, you don't have a mole on your shoulder, only Mommy does.

Grammy started rubbing her chest in a circular motion to signal "I love you" when Caitlin was an infant.  We have continued this sign with you.  It's the Quillinan sign for "I love you" and it's the American Sign Language sign for "I'm sorry".  So when you're a teenager and you are annoyed with me, I will rub my chest in a circular motion to say, "I'm sorry but you're stuck with us and we I love you!"   Anyway, you will rub your chest in response to someone saying "I love you".  You have been doing this for a while now.  The other day you initiated by looking at me and rubbing your chest before I had a chance to say "I love you".

You will also rub your chest to say "I love you" when you see a baby or an animal picture.  You say, "aw" then rub your chest.  You are so cute.  Sometimes you cradle your arms and pretend to give them a hug too.    

You understand the concept of the telephone.  If Daddy or Mommy talks on the phone you will say "Hi".  Then when we're ready to hang up you pick up on the cues and start saying "bye bye".  The cues you understand are, "good talking to you",  "Talk to you later", "see you soon", and "have a nice day/weekend".

You are learning new words left and right.  The other day we were looking at and talking about pictures in a magazine.  I only had to tell you once that one of the pictures was a man.  You picked up that vocabulary word and will now point to any picture of a short haired person and say, "man".  You can also tell the difference between an adult and baby.  Small kids are babies in your mind.  You will point to any picture of a small kid or baby and say "baby".  Then you pretend to hug them or rub your chest to say you love them.

Itsy Bitsy Spider is a great song.  You will do the hand motions the best you can to most of the song!  When you're settling down for a nap in your crib you will babble constantly for a good 10-20 minutes.  I'll even catch you doing the Itsy Bitsy Spider hand motions while babbling!   Another song you will do the hand motions to is a Music Together song called "Me, Me, Me".  You are supposed to point to yourself and repeat "me, me, me" then point to others while repeating "you, you, you".  The song then changes to "yes, yes, yes" and "no, no, no".  You will nod your head for yes, and shake it for no.

Speaking of no, you understand the meaning of the word pretty well.  You don't always follow it but you know what it means.  You will also tell me, "no", "no more", and "all done" when you are finished eating.

The other day we were shopping at Costco.  As we walked passed the fresh flowers, you pointed to them and said, "flower".   That same day we were at Target.  We walked passed a man and you said, "hi".  He responded by telling you, "hello".  So you said, "hello" back to him.  I love your flexibility!

You are known as the "hi girl" in Safeway.  You greet everyone while shopping and all of the employees love you!

The other day I made you a corn bread muffin with butter and honey.  When I pulled the honey I told you I was going to add some to your muffin.  From that point on you started saying "honey".  That night just before bed, you looked at me and started saying "honey" over and over again.  It must be fun for you to say!

I'm sure I have missed some of the great things you can say and do but those are some big things that I have enjoyed watching you learn.

I love you Michela Grace!  Keep growing strong and learning new vocabulary and skills!

With all my love,

Mommy

1 comment:

Jessica said...

So sweet. Such a fun age! :)