Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Dear Michela

Dear Michela,

I saw you for the first time 12 days ago and every day I love you more and more.  You are perfect!  I cried when I first felt you in my arms and I still hate putting you down.  You don't like sleeping in your pack n' play and would much rather sleep in your bouncy seat or with me.  I have no problem sleeping with you on the couch but I am afraid to put in in bed with daddy and I.  There are just too many blankets and pillows.  Right now you are sleeping in the swing.  You look so peaceful but I'm having a really hard time letting you stay in there.  I want to hold you, cuddle with you, and kiss you.  You like to grunt when you're falling asleep, I think it's really cute!

We have gotten the hang of breastfeeding too.  We saw a lactation consultant (a nurse who helps mommy's and babies learn how to breastfeed).  She said that breastfeeding is like learning a new dance.  It takes two people (you and I) to learn the steps and make it seamless.  We don't automatically know what to do but with practice we can get the hang of it.  And we are getting the hang of it kiddo!  It doesn't hurt mommy anymore and you're getting the milk you need.  You did go through a 24 hour period of wanting to nurse non-stop but thankfully, that has passed.  That was rough on mommy.  You were nursing for 45 minutes to an hour, sleeping for an hour then wanting to nurse again!  I was exhausted yesterday!  But now we're back to a more normal routine of every two hours for 15-20 minutes.  Thank you!

Last night was your best night as far as sleeping in the pack n' play.  We set up the little vibration machine under your mattress and used your stuffed lamb sound machine to help you sleep.  It was great being able to sleep in my bed again.  I had two of my most favorite people next to me, you and daddy.

Michela, you are the most beautiful baby I have set eyes on and I am excited for you as you begin your journey of life.

With all my love,

Mommy  


No comments: