Friday, June 8, 2012

That's It!

Dear Michela,

We had a nursing relationship for 2 years.  I never though I would breastfeed a child for 2 years.  I remember when you were an itty bitty, maybe a month old, I saw a mom breastfeeding an older infant (10 monthish) and thought that it looked a little odd breastfeeding a baby that age.   Then I thought that she was a pretty awesome because she was breastfeeding and shopping at the same time!  I was a newbie and barely able to breastfeed without Daddy's help at that time!

I had lots of people suggest I wean you at 12 months.  And I thought I would wean you at 12 months since I was pregnant with your sister.  Well, you proved to us all that you still needed to breastfeed and breastfeeding isn't merely for nutrition.  It was for comfort too.  I'm glad we made it to 2!  I think it's an American thing to say that "extended" breastfeeding is weird.  But I wont get into the American hangups on extended breastfeeding - well breastfeeding in general I suppose.  I just wanted to say that I love you Michela Grace.  If you need extra cuddle time, I'll be here to give it to you!

The last time you breastfed was on your 2nd birthday.  Days prior, I told you that after your birthday you would get your milk from a cup and my milk would be for Penelope only.  So after you breastfed on your birthday I had you say bye bye to mama's milk.  You waved and that was that.  The next night, Tuesday, we changed our bedtime routine slightly.  So instead of going to the couch to breastfeed and read books we went to my bedroom and read a few books on my bed (Daddy's bed too).  While we were standing in the hall after your bath you asked for milk but I reminded you that we were all done with my milk.  You were okay with that we climbed into my bed to read.  That was it!  You weren't bothered by the change and neither was I.  Our breastfeeding journey has come to an end.  I will say that I am proud that we continued to breastfeed for 2 years.  The first 1.5 months was a challenge and I didn't think we'd make it another day but we made it several days.  :)

I look forward to many more journeys together.  I love you Michela Grace!  Keep growing strong!

With all my love,

Mommy

1 comment:

Jessica said...

WAY TO GO! That is AWESOME! Sydney is still breastfeeding at 17 months, but I think she's losing interest, although I am not quite ready to be done. haha!