Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Preschool Blues

Dear Penelope,

I am happy to say that we are back on track to enjoying preschool again.  We had a few days when you didn't want me to leave.  Let me tell you, it is incredibly hard to leave your child when they are crying for you.  Luckily, that only happened a few times but man, that was hard.  I questioned if you were ready for school or if the school wasn't a good match for you.  I cried while walking home after dropping you off.  My heart ached.   The only reason I kept taking you was because upon pickup you told me about all the fun you had at school.  If school was so horrible you would have been miserable the whole time.

Your teacher and I hatched a plan to help you with your separation anxiety.  Instead of hanging out with you until it was time for circle (9am), I sign you in, give you a big hug and kiss and leave.  Your teacher was in the front the first week of our new routine.  She took your hand when I left and together you waved to me through the glass door as I walked away.  On the 3rd day you were smiling and waving.  

Now you look forward to school.  You ask me if it's a school day and are happy when I say, yes!  I drop you off and you walk to your cubby with your head held high and ready for the day.   I am so happy that you enjoy school again.

With all my love,

Mommy

No comments: